Xylitol Toxicity – How it affects your pets!

Posted on:

Products that contain xylitol

Xylitol Toxicity – How It Affects Your Pets!

Sugar substitutes are big business. Less sugar can mean weight loss, improved health, diabetic control, and even reduced tooth decay. The quest for products that can sweeten and cook like sugar is ongoing. Xylitol is common sugar substitute, especially when it comes to sugarless gum. Not only does xylitol offer sweetness without Calories, it also has antibacterial properties in the mouth so as to reduce periodontal disease and has been found to have far reaching health benefits in other areas of the body. Xylitol may help with osteoporosis, prevention of ear and throat infections, and may reduce risk of endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and even breast cancer.

Sounds wonderful and maybe it is – if you are a human. If you are a dog, xylitol is potentially lethal.

 

DEADLY EFFECTS OF XYLITOL:

HYPOGLYCEMIA
In the canine body, the pancreas confuses xylitol with real sugar and releases insulin to store the “sugar.” The problem is that xylitol does not offer the extra Calories of sugar and the rush of insulin only serves to remove the real sugar from the circulation. Blood sugar levels plummet resulting in weakness, disorientation, tremors, and potentially seizures.

It does not take many sticks of gum to poison a dog, especially a small dog (see below for toxic doses). Symptoms typically begin within 30 minutes and can last for more than 12 hours. Vomiting and diarrhea may also occur.

HEPATIC NECROSIS
The other reaction associated with xylitol in the canine body is actual destruction of liver tissue. How this happens remains unknown but the doses of xylitol required to produce this effect are much higher than the hypoglycemic doses described above. Signs take longer to show up (typically 8-12 hours) and surprisingly not all dogs that experience hepatic necrosis, will have experienced hypoglycemia first. A lucky dog experiences only temporary illness but alternatively, a complete and acute liver failure can result with death following. Internal hemorrhage and inability of blood to clot is commonly involved.

HOW MUCH XYLITOL IS DANGEROUS?

The hypoglycemic dose of xylitol for dogs is considered to be approximately 0.1 grams per kilogram of body weight (about 0.45 gram per pound). A typical stick of gum contains 0.3 to 0.4 grams of xylitol which means that a 10 lb dog could be poisoned by as little as a stick and a half of gum.

The dose to cause hepatic necrosis is 1 gram per kilogram of body weight, about ten times more than the above dose. In the example above, the 10 lb dog would have to find an unopened package of gum and eat it for liver destruction to occur.

TREATMENT

If your suspect your pet has consumed a product that contains xylitol contact your Veterinarian immediately! Ideally, the patient can be seen quickly and can be made to vomit the gum or candy. Beyond this, a your pets blood work will need to be monitored and depending on those diagnostic results your Veterinarian will treat your pet as needed. Depending on the dose of xylitol your pets has ingested, hospitalization may be required.

WHAT ABOUT CATS?

So far National Animal Poison Control has no reports of xylitol toxicity in the cat. At this time feline toxicity is unknown.

WHAT ABOUT XYLITOL CONTAINING MOUTHWASHES FOR PETS?

The oral health benefits of xylitol do seem to hold true for dogs if appropriately low doses of xylitol are used.

Several products have been marketed for canine oral care, specifically for dogs that do not tolerate other methods of dental home care. These product is mixed in drinking water to provide antibacterial benefits. Aquadent® by Virbac comes in a 500cc (half liter) bottle that contains a total of 2.5 grams of xylitol as well as in small packets. Similarly, Breathalyser Plus® from Ceva is similarly packaged. If one follows the dosing instructions on the bottle or packet, there should be no problems.

Trouble could occur if there are animals of different sizes drinking from the same water bowl (one should dose for the smallest animal to use the bowl to be sure overdose is not possible) or if a dog is on medication or has a disease causing excessive water consumption. A dog finding the bottle and chewing it up, drinking a substantial quantity of the undiluted product could easily be poisoned depending on the dog’s size.

Please remember to keep all products that may be dangerous away from your pets! Feel free to contact us at Falls Road Veterinary Hospital with any questions or concern. (301) 983-8400. fallsroadvethosp@aol.com

Comments are closed.