The Danger of Chocolate To Pets
But for a dog it can be potentially life-threatening and, in the most extreme cases, result in death.
Dog owners are warned to be on high alert this Easter and ensure the chocolate is hidden away to ensure dogs are not harmed as a result of chocolate poisoning.
With more instances of discarded Easter Eggs or half-eaten Crème Eggs lying around at Easter than at other times of the year, it is a potential minefield for canines all over the country, and can result in many becoming ill – or even die.
The reason for this toxicity is due to a natural chemical in the cocoa bean called theobromine. Easily digestible by humans, theobromine cannot be broke down by the dog’s digestive system and becomes toxic to dogs, having a serious effect on their nervous system and heart.
As the Easter weekend approaches and people have more chocolate in the home than usual, we’re reminding those with dogs and cats to keep it well out of their reach.
Like with most poisons the toxic impact is dependent on the size of the dog.
Heavier dogs are far less likely to be affected by the same amount of chocolate than those of a smaller size.
For example, it would take just one tablespoon of dark chocolate to severely damage a small Yorkshire Terrier, while 5 tablespoons would lead to a Lab becoming seriously ill.
Yet, it is not only the amount of chocolate that can have effect on how badly a dog reacts. The level of cocoa and the darkness of the chocolate can also have an effect. With darker chocolate containing more of the toxic theobromine than milk chocolate, less is needed to have an adverse effect.
Symptoms of concern for owners can be anything from vomiting, to rapid breathing, to seizures and need to be acted on to ensure that there are not more fatal consequences.
The effects of chocolate poisoning in dogs usually appear within a few hours of eating, and can last as long as 24 hours.
Initial signs can include excessive thirst, vomiting, a sore stomach and restlessness.
These symptoms can then progress to tremors, an abnormal heart rhythm, raised body temperature and rapid breathing.
In severe cases dogs can experience fits, kidney failure and can even die.
If your pet ingest chocolate you should contact your vet for immediately. Please feel free to contact us here at Falls Road Veterinary Hospital with any questions or concerns. (301) 983-8400. www.fallsroadvet.com,