Archive for December, 2012

Holiday Hazards To Pets

Posted on:

Holiday Hazards To Pets Holidays may be festive, but for most of us they are far from peaceful!  Left unattended, pets can get into mischief and serious trouble, so don’t forget to be prepared to protect your pets from these holiday hazards. Dangerous Foods Most people know about chocolate’s potential to be poisonous, but also make sure to keep pets away from sugar-free candy and gum (which may contain xylitol), raisins and macadamia nuts (often found in trail mixes, cookies, and candy), grapes, bread dough, coffee, and alcohol. “Other” Foods Remember to ask well meaning friends and relatives to avoid…

Read More »

10 Household Plants That Are Dangerous To Your Pets

Posted on:

10 Household Plants That Are Dangerous To Your Pets Here is a list of 10 common household plants that are toxic to your pets. Please stay informed so you are able to protect your pets from potential dangers! If your are concerned that your pet has ingested and type of poison substance please contact your Vet immediately! Asparagus Fern Asparagus fern (also called emerald feather, emerald fern, sprengeri fern, plumosa fern, and lace fern) is toxic to dogs and cats. The toxic agent in this plant is sapogenin—a steroid found in a variety of plants. If a dog or cat…

Read More »

Microchipping Your Pet

Posted on:

Microchipping Your Pet And Why It Is So Important! Why Microchip? It is highly recommended that your has identification on if you don’t plan to let him or her go outside. Even indoor pets can get out by accident. Many lost pets are never returned to their owners because they have no identification. Collars and tags are popular and effective methods of identification, but they can come off. Microchips, which are implanted just under the pet’s skin, are one way to permanently identify pets. What Is a Microchip? A microchip is a tiny electronic device that is about the size…

Read More »

Antifreeze Toxicosis & Your Pets

Posted on:

What Is Antifreeze Poisoning? Most antifreeze solutions contain high levels of ethylene glycol, an ingredient that, once metabolized, is extremely toxic to dogs and cats. Pets are often attracted to the liquid because of its sweet taste. Even small amounts can be lethal to animals. A cat that walks through spilled antifreeze and then licks its paws may ingest enough to be fatal. As little as 2.5 tablespoons of antifreeze could kill a 20-pound dog. Once ingested, ethylene glycol is quickly broken down in the liver to other substances that can lead to kidney failure and death within 12 hours…

Read More »

Xylitol Toxicity – How it affects your pets!

Posted on:

Xylitol Toxicity – How It Affects Your Pets! Sugar substitutes are big business. Less sugar can mean weight loss, improved health, diabetic control, and even reduced tooth decay. The quest for products that can sweeten and cook like sugar is ongoing. Xylitol is common sugar substitute, especially when it comes to sugarless gum. Not only does xylitol offer sweetness without Calories, it also has antibacterial properties in the mouth so as to reduce periodontal disease and has been found to have far reaching health benefits in other areas of the body. Xylitol may help with osteoporosis, prevention of ear and…

Read More »

Understanding Your Pets Medications & Monitoring

Posted on:

Whether your dog or cat is taking an antibiotic for a week or two to combat an infection or is on long-term medication for a chronic health condition, monitoring his medicine can help you catch any potential problems early. It can also help you ensure your pet is responding to treatment. It is very important to not only understand your pets medications but also monitor your pets medication intake and response. Understanding Medication Monitoring Keeping track of your pet’s medicine is an important way to make sure they on the way to better health. This process should begin with a…

Read More »